Santa Justa Elevator Also Called
Santa Justa Elevator is a French style iron construction from the beginning of the XIX century.
You can find it at the Rua de Santa Justa or through a passage coming from the square Largo do Carmo (Top level).
To go in it, a ticket is due, the same price of a bus ticket. It connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square).
Since its construction, the Lift has become a tourist attraction, among the other urban lifts in the city, Santa Justa Elevator is the only one remaining vertical. Others, including the Elevador da Glória and the Elevador da Lavra, are funiculars, and the other lift from the same time, the Elevator of São Julião has been demolished.
The Elevator is a vertical structure, consisting of a metallic tower, observation platform, walkway and base.
In 31st of August 1901, King Carlos inaugurates the metal bridge and awning, in a ceremony that included members of the royal family, members of the Elevator company, Raoul Mesnier du Ponsard, and various members of the high nobility and journalists.
Santa Justa Elevator
The structure, in a neo-Gothic style, built at the turn of the nineteenth to the twentieth century. It is not proven to link with Gustave Eiffel. What is known is that both Ponsard and the French architect Louis Reynaud used some of the techniques and materials already applied in France.
In the early years it was powered by steam. The difference between the floor level and the upper level is thirty meters.
On the 10 July 1902, the elevator opened to public service. On that day rain and storm swept over the city, but not enough to cool down the enthusiasm and curiosity of those who wanted to try the new transport or just admire the panorama.