Lisbon Events – Cultural Agenda 2016
Lisbon Events, Festivals and Attractions 2016
Arts and crafts exhibitions, fashion, food and film. Summer music festivals, contemporary theatre, outdoor jazz concerts and motor-racing competitions…
Lisbon Fish & Flavors at the Commerce Square.
Lisbon Fish and Flavors, is a popular food festival. Wander around the exhibition and enjoy talking and tastings, watch cooking demonstrations and savor the gastronomic delights.
- Indie Lisboa International Independent Film Festival. Contemporary independent cinema produced by the promising new Portuguese and international filmmakers. Including animation, documentaries, short films and experimental films. Taking place in various cinemas around Lisbon, there will be lectures and master classes, invited filmmakers and special guests.
Music Days in Belém at the Cultural Center of Belém
Concerts, workshops for music lovers of all ages, from classical music concerts to jazz, opera and folk music.
May to September, Cascais and Estoril
Out Jazz is a series of free open-air concerts around the city’s beautiful parks and gardens every Sunday evening, and Thursdays at the Cultural Center of Belém.
- Lisbon International Triathlon at the EXPO Nations Park, along the river. Lisbon International Triathlon attracts over 800 participants from 30 countries. The swim course is held in a unique artificial lake, the bicycle course offers inspiring views of the Tagus river and the running course is held in the heart of the venue.
MOTOGP World Championship at Estoril and Cascais.
The Portuguese motorcycle Grand Prix is held at the “Autódromo do Estoril”. This world championship race is one of the most difficult on the Moto GP calendar.
Alcantara Festival. Performing arts.
During the course of this festival, many of Lisbon’s concert halls, theatres, squares and parks are filled with music, theatre and dance performances.
- Rock in Rio at the Bela Vista Park. Rock in Rio returns to Lisbon as one of the biggest music festivals in the world. Rock and POP music. The festival also has a strong focus on creating awareness about environmental issues.
lisbon events TICKETLINE
TRADITIONAL STREET JUNE POPULAR EVENT – SAINT ANTHONY DAY
For over 80 years, the Saint Anthony festival takes place throughout the city, with decorations in the streets. The feast of Saint Anthony festival is celebrated mainly in the Alfama quarter and on the Avenida da Liberdade where there will be a huge parade. The festival consists of singing and dancing, food and drinks, lanterns and streamers. Fado music can be heard and copious amounts of grilled sardines are eaten. The festival of São Pedro at the end of the month consists of street celebrations and a boat procession on the Tagus River.
- June-July, the Festival in Sintra – For two weeks in the summer, classical music fills the concert halls, manor houses and historical palaces of enchanting Sintra. The Sintra Festival is a celebration of music, dance, theatre and cultural events featuring international pianists, conductors and musicians as well as local ensembles. Events are held in some of the most beautiful venues in Lisbon, including the National Palace of Queluz, the National Palace of Sintra and the Centro Cultural Olga Cadaval.
June-July, Largo de São Carlos in Lisbon.
Free program of arts and cultural events is held every evening in Largo de São Carlos, in the heart of Chiado. The grand square outside the São Carlos Theatre is a beautiful backdrop for classical music performances, featuring the Portuguese Symphony Orchestra, National Ballet Company and the Gulbenkian Orchestra, with guest musicians, singers.
- Super Bock Super Rock Music Festival at Meco beach. Rock, pop, metal and electronic music. Promising a fantastic weekend of sun, sea and rock ‘n roll, the 3-day event is staged in a beautiful location in Sesimbra.
Optimus Alive Music Festival
- Cool Jazz Fest – Oeiras The Cool Jazz Fest. Outdoor concerts featuring local and international jazz artists combine music, history and nature – a wonderful way to enjoy Lisbon’s perfect summer evenings.
Estoril Music Weeks – Classical music events. Held at a number of venues in Estoril.
- Lisbon’s Oceans Festival in Lisbon – Enjoy summer events in Lisbon, this two-week festival has a different ocean-inspired theme each year and includes a number of free events for all ages. Including concerts, cultural entertainment, street performances and fireworks from Belém to Parque das Nações. Many museums are also open in the evenings as part of this major event.
lisbon events TICKETLINE
August Jazz – Calouste Gulbenkian Museum Foundation.
Contemporary jazz. From its modest beginnings in 1984, this event has developed into an international music festival featuring a new generation of jazz musicians. Held in the beautiful outdoor amphitheatre in the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
- Cascais Sea Festival – Is a free summer festival in the seaside resort of Cascais. Taking place over 10 days in a number of venues, this annual festival includes craft shows, Portuguese cuisine, local bands, international musicians and dazzling fireworks displays.
- Cultural Center of Belém - Festival Música Viva is dedicated to contemporary classical music. Iinteractive audiovisual performances and diverse representations of the endless possibilities in improvisation and sound.
- Sintra Misty – Cultural Center Olga Cadaval Set in the beautiful hills of Sintra, Sintra Misty is a popular world music festival with a focus on the art of songwriting. International artists performing unique folk, rock and electronic music.
Lisbon & Estoril Film Festival – Featuring the newest European and international films and a popular awards section, a number of complementary events are also scheduled including master classes with influential figures in the film world, art exhibitions, concerts, workshops for children and tributes to unique filmmakers. Films are screened at a number of venues in Lisbon and Estoril, including Cinema São Jorge, the CCB and the Estoril Casino.
- ART – EXPO Nations Park – Annual Contemporary Art Fair, a 4-day exhibition of local and international artworks and emerging artists. Held at the International Fair in Lisboa by the Tagus River, Artists from Portugal, Europe and the international art community, bringing together museum directors, gallery owners and collectors, as well as over 20,000 visitors annually.
The Lisbon marathon is a popular race through the streets and hills of the Portuguese capital. 42 km full marathon, a half marathon and a 6 km mini-marathon that loop around the center of Lisbon.
- Christmas in Lisbon Lisbon dazzles at Christmastime with a twinkling array of lights and decorations throughout the city, especially in Chiado and Avenida da Liberdade. Choirs perform in many churches and squares throughout the city, creating a wonderful festive atmosphere. Pick up a paper cone of roasted chestnuts from the carts on street corners and try the Bolo Rei – a traditional Portuguese Christmas cake covered in crystallised fruit.
New Year’s Eve – Terreiro do Paço – 31 New Year’s Eve in Lisbon is a joyous celebration to mark the transition to the New Year. Stages are set up in Terreiro do Paço for a number of live concerts featuring Portugal’s most renowned artists. Join in the crowds and festivities and find a spot along the riverfront to enjoy the dazzling fireworks display at midnight.